Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Officially Official

Our Wednesday morning was spent in court. It wasn't for speeding tickets, domestic abuse, or child trafficking. Instead, it was the long awaited day of adoption finalization! We got there early as instructed and had to sit and wait for quite a while.
After waiting outside the courtroom, we proceeded to wait inside the courtroom. If there is one thing I've learned through this adoption process it's that you better know how to wait. And like it.
Finally our name was called and we were able to enter the informal "chambers" of the judge. I was thankful that my dad thought to bring his flip camera to video the proceedings. It will be a piece of film I'll treasure for sure.
This is a pic of the intense questioning by our attorney and the Judge. (It really wasn't intense. The questions were all no-brainers unless you're that crazy woman that put her kid on an airplane to Russia to send him back.)
The Judge was asking the boys some questions too and Cade ended up answering for everyone. It was so funny because eventually the Judge said, "So, are you the official family spokesperson or something?" and Cade shrugged his shoulders and giggled a little and said, "Well, Idunno."
Thank goodness for the distracting pink folder that kept Lanie entertained. It was well into the hour of her naptime and the last thing I wanted was to have to spank her bottom in front of the Judge for acting out of turn.
Rhett thought she needed to be smiling more for her big day in court so he tried to help her out.
Do you hear the angels singing?? The Big Moment had arrived....The signage of the documents. Lanie is now officially a Morgan and she has all the rights of any child that has been naturally born to us. Sniff, sniff, sniffle...
A shot with the man whose pen holds much power.
And another with our extended family spectators.
Somebody was just tickled pink to be getting a new birth certificate!
Others were just crazy but that's nothing new.
Bobby was one happy daddy knowing official was officially official!
And one pic with a happy mommy, albeit not a good one.
After all was signed and sealed we headed across the street for a little lunch at Puckett's. We had never been there before and I've always heard it's a good place for eatin'.

Grant ordered his usual.....cheeseburger. They didn't have a child sized portion so he ordered the adult meal. To my surprise he nearly finished the head sized burger!
It was my mom and dad's first time at Puckett's too.
The atmosphere was great and the boys were having fun.
Rhett was in good camera form. He gave me lots of photogenic moments.
Then there are the not so photogenic but "SO Rhett" photo moments.
To top off the day we headed down the street for a little celebration sweetness.
And really, what says "Waahooo!!! Our baby girl's officially a Morgan!!" better than a little IveyCake? Nothing.
So with our bellies full and our hearts even fuller, we thanked God for a beautiful end to our adoption journey. I now can pack away my little pink folder and relish in the blessing that is Elaina Marie Morgan! Yea for happy endings!

5 comments:

Nicole @ Four Real said...

That just brought a smile and tears to this first morning of 2011! God is so good. Thank you for sharing this journey with us. She is a very blessed little girl to have you all. CONGRATS!!!

Becky said...

What a great moment and such a great feeling! Congratulations... and put that notebook up girl you are done with the paperwork!

Tonya Lee said...

Oh, I am SO happy for you! God is so good! I can't wait to watch that sweet girl grow up and be blessed to be a part of your sweet family! And to join in on Rhett's antics.....

Heather said...

I have not read blogs in a long time, so I'm just reading this. Congratulations! All.choked.up.
~H

Lucy said...

Cannot believe I am so far behind! Loved reading this! Congrats!!!!