Thursday, October 21, 2010

In Touch With Nature

The boys had a whopping two days of fall break this week and being that that's really not enough time to make a vacation, we decided to head up the interstate to good ol' Radnor Lake. Short drive, nature hike, picnic lunch, tired kids.

Elaina rode with her daddy in her baby bjorn. She loves that thing. She loves it so much she eats it. It's always nice and slobbery when she gets out of it. Yum.
The only indication that it is actually "fall" is that the leaves are changing and falling off of the trees. If I had to gauge by temperature alone my guess would've been that it was June-ish.
Lanie's bow didn't last long in her slick hair. I picked it up numerous times on the trail and then finally gave up. I guess it's not necessary to have a bow while hiking.
We had some pictures made here last year with Photography Matt and the boys remembered right away that there was a great area to throw rocks into the lake.
Three of my favorite people:
We met up with our best buds, The Ashman's. It's always fun to share nature with your friends!

We spotted Bambi not far from the trail. There were about 6 more bounding through the woods on the other side. This one, however, just stayed close by and didn't seem to mind all the noise our monkeys were making.

I'm sure Mr. Deer was rolling his eyes listening to these three with their fake gun sounds. "Seriously, humans. I'm fully aware that sticks cannot turn me into venison, and second, there's a no gun policy at Radnor.....hence the reason I'm standing here letting you taunt me."
We then poked Mrs. Turtle with a stick. Sticks. Boys. What's with them?
After we determined it was NOT a snapper, Grant picked it up.
The girls were quiet but I'm sure deep down inside they were jealous about being stuck to the sweaty men while the boys got to play with wildlife.
Everyone was fascinated by the turtle. You'd think we live in the city or something.
We had finally made the loop around the lake and pretty much everyone was tired of walking and ready for some lunch. Cade gave his sis some kissin' and we headed to the car to call it a day.
On the way out we all suddenly felt a hankering for a big cheeseburger. It could've been this:
Well, gross. I have never in my life seen such a big, dead, cow on the back of a flatbed. This was, however, the highlight of the day for the boys.
The circle of life, kids. One minute you're a deer frolicking in the brush.....the next thing you know you're a dead cow on a flatbed. And, if you're lucky, you'll have a whole lot of great things happen in between.

Happy fall everyone!

4 comments:

Tonya Lee said...

wow- circle of life thing-awesome, funny at first and then profound. I'm jealous of your mad writing skills :) That cow could almost turn me into an anti-McD's AJ!

Kelly Swindell and Tol Swindell said...

Could you have seen anything more random? That just tops off that post. Hysterical!

Lucy said...

Looks like a great time! I could do without the dead cow at the end, yuk! :) Reinforces my not eating red meat! Please don't post anything about chicken or seafood! :)

Lucy said...

Looks like a great time! I could do without the dead cow at the end, yuk! :) Reinforces my not eating red meat! Please don't post anything about chicken or seafood! :)