Shampoo day started with one of the cutest of the cuties. We shampooed the little kids in the baby house while the big kids were in school.
Some of the boys got new do's with the handy pair of shears we had brought with us. Buzz cut central was short lived once our shears overheated. It didn't stop the boys from being treated though. Each of their heads got a good scrubbing.
We set up our "spa day" at the wash area of the upper house. First we washed the hair in tea tree shampoo......
then a good soaping up with the Nix, a twenty minute wait, and then a good rinse.
The girls all got in on the action. Lots of laughs, shampoo everywhere, and giggles galore. Most of these girls had never had their hair lathered in shampoo. This was probably the first day of pampering they had ever had!
After the final rinse the girls all sat on the stairs and we had to meticulously comb through their hair to get the critters out. We all coveted the blue combs. They were donated by a company and were much better than the combs that came with the Nix boxes. You knew someone had a bad one when you heard, "I need the blue comb here!!"
Speaking of bad one: I ended up having to enlist Amanda to help me conquer the colony of crawlies that had taken up residence in this girls head. I have never seen anything like it before in my life. With each pass of the blue comb, it's teeth would be covered in bugs. And when I went to wipe them off they scattered to the top. Even 6 weeks later my head starts itching just thinking about it.
At least 3 or 4 times I can remember looking down and finding that my entire lap and belly was covered in lice bugs. It's really a miracle that I didn't end up getting it myself.
The de-licing ended up taking up way more time than we anticipated but you wouldn't believe the opportunities it opened up for us. We were able to spend time talking to the girls and getting to know them, girls that had never even smiled at us ended the day by giving us hugs, and women who cook and work at the orphanage for little recognition got to feel loved even if only for 30 minutes. This was one task that I'll admit I wasn't looking forward to......but it's one I'd gladly do again.
1 comment:
WOW! How did you not get it!!! That is unbelievable!
Post a Comment