At the time of this post our mission trip begins in exactly 36 hours! Last night we had a quick little get together with some of the team to do some packing. Amanda P. was stoked about being there :)
We had tons of donations from our Sunday School class as well as my mom and dad's church. We packed 60 boys watches, a gagillion girl's hair accessories, girls and boys underwear, handmade blankets and birthcloths, and a few pairs of stray shoes in this box.
Here's our box of fun: Jump ropes, playdough, craft sticks and lots of diecuts, coloring books and some things Bobby picked out- wiffle balls and bats, baseballs, and glo-sticks. Have you ever seen a sad kid with a glo-stick? Me neither.
Next our box of toiletries and randomness: bowls, neopsporin, q-tips, cups, deoderant, soap, and toothpaste (all nicely packed in ziplocs, might I add).
We racked up with some shoes. All the boys will be twinkie-dinkie-doo with their almost converse shoes on. Piled under those are tons of girls shoes. We should have enough for every child to have a pair. God will have to work out the sizes because we just bought what we could find.
I didn't take a picture of our fifth box. It's a box-o-pads. And really, who wants to come to this blog and look at a bunch of pads? Here's an interesting fact though: A packed to the hilt crate of pads weighs just a hair over 25lbs. Now if you're in some kind of random knowledge contest you'll surely win with that tid bit of information.
Next our box of toiletries and randomness: bowls, neopsporin, q-tips, cups, deoderant, soap, and toothpaste (all nicely packed in ziplocs, might I add).So, 36 more hours until plane boarding, 60ish hours until we debut at the orphanage and tackle our first major task.... the de-lousing of 100+kids. If my hair looks a muck in all my pics when I get back it's because I've greased it in tea tree oil to ward off critters. If Bobby is bald it means the tea tree oil didn't work.
It is very likely, if I can pull it off, that my crate will look like this on the way home:

7 comments:
Be safe and enjoy your trip! Oh, you already left! Hope you had a safe enjoyable trip!!
When I think of box-o-pads I wasn't thinking something that you write on...what kind of pads are you talking about? :)
Praying for you all. Have a good trip and I can't wait to here about your adventure in de-lousing.
Praying for you all as you go! Hope it is an amazing trip. Can't wait to hear about it.
I'm with Big Nanny. Great idea to take the die cuts!!
Praying for you guys. Keep us updated when you can!
~H
Praying for you guys!!!!
Hope came home with lice twice in kindergarten. I then scoured the internet for a sure safe method to never have it again and it was tea tree oil. 2 years later, we're still using it and no more instances to date. That firms up me thinking it works!
Praying for your safe travels!
Fun post! I am praying for you all! Hope to get some updates! There is absolutley no doubt in my mind that Keith would also skip the zip-locs. I love a Packing Nazi. (Oh, that sounds bad!) ;)
Love,
Tracey =)
Post a Comment