Sunday, December 21, 2008

I Heart Christmas

Only four more days to count down and then shortly thereafter all of this has to be put away. I LOVE having Christmas lights on the outside of the house. We added several new things this year......bush lights, snowflakes and a little tree. Much to the dismay of Cade we, once again, vetoed the blow-up dooflachies in the yard. We can totally be friends if you have them. That's fine. But for me personally they drive me slightly bonzo. One of my most favorite things about Thanksgiving passing and Christmas being around the corner are the lovely red berry wreaths I get to hang out. I would prefer that they stay on the door year round but I feel that it's just not seasonally acceptable.
Ever since we moved into this house I have been telling Bobby that I wished we could have a little tree to put in the foyer. This year my Christmas wish came true when Lowe's decided to put theirs on sale fifty percent off and in a strange twist of fate I decided randomly to stop in. I immediately snatched it up because it was the last one and brought it straight home to put the little tiny Christmas ornaments on it that I found on sale at the Tarjay. I placed approximately 20 on the tree and thus far only five have met their maker. This is the third Christmas we've spent here and this is the third place that we've put the tree. It keeps getting the boot from it's former space. This spot looks like a keeper. And, hopefully next year there will be one more stocking on that fireplace mantle.


Ahhh, my little train set. I started collecting the pieces to this right after Bobby and I got married. I think I'm lacking just a few pieces but they don't make them anymore. Cade had the privilege of putting the set out this year and was extremely excited about it.
In fact, as I was snapping the photo of the train above I looked a little closer and noticed this. Can you see it?


Did you know that Rudolph used to be a Storm Trooper? Neither did I. Apparently one of the boys thought that would be an appropriate place for a lego helmet. I left it. After being made fun of so much, Rudolph can be whatever the stink he wants to be.

Then there is our Elfie tradition. The boys are once again getting such a big kick out of finding this little elf all over the house. Cade made the comment the other day while shaking his head and shrugging his shoulders, "You know? I mean, it's the weirdest thing........He doesn't even really LOOK real. Hmmm." Good times.


This is definitely one of my favorite times of year. I love the activity, the excitement, and the joy of getting to share the birthday of our Savior with the boys. I'll admit though, it's a daunting task to put all the junk back in the rubbermaids to wait patiently again for the next year to come. I'm pretty sure it will look like we've partially moved out of the house. By the middle of January I'll get back to feeling normal without twinkling lights surrounding me. Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas day!





















3 comments:

Shawn said...

This was hilarious. My favorite line is that Rudolph can be whatever the stink he wants to be. I am going to challenge myself to use that line at some point before the end of Christmas Day. I'll let you know how it goes over.
~H

Kelly Swindell and Tol Swindell said...

I love, love, love your decorations. The yard is perfect! I will have to call you next year so you can help me :)

Jessica said...

Ok - we have the blow up dooflachies. Will you still be our friend? I could explain about the very tasteful inflatable yard decor (as we like to call it) - but there is probably just not one good excuse for the things - so I'll leave it alone.

We, too, have been doing the Elf on the Shelf (just started this year). What a blast!!! Our Elf's name is "Christmas" (I know, that Hailey of ours is so darn creative!) - and every morning, in a sing-songy voice we say "Oh Christmas the Elf, where you are you?" (yes, Hailey also feels the need to add an extra "you" to that statement.)

Anyway - your house is gorgeous. Hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas!