Monday, December 26, 2011

A Little Danger

Since Cade was the lucky recipient of a for real 20 gauge shotgun Bobby thought it was fitting to take the boys out in the semi-wilderness to have a little target practice. I dropped Lanie off at mom's house so that I could monitor the safety precautions. The boys could hardly contain their excitement. Apparently boys like to shoot guns.


They started out shooting Bobby's Pawpaw's old 22g rifle. Things were going smoothly!
Rhett pulled out his Daniel Boone cap for the occasion. Cuteness.
My self still trembles when he gets a gun in his hand. Thank goodness he doesn't swing that thing around like he does his nerf guns at home. We'd all be in trouble. Well, we'd all be dead.
It was Cade's turn to try out his new shotgun. He was poised and ready..... POW! That thing just about took his shoulder out!
He was all, "Holy Cow!!" and Bobby and Bob were cracking up! He tried it once more and then decided it would be a good idea to rest his shoulder.
Grant gave it a whirl and decided he was one and done. This is the pic right after he shot and when he started out he was standing straight up! Rhett took a turn and I'm not even joking when I say that it knocked his glasses right off his face. He might need to get a little more meat on the bones before he gives it another go!
After everyone had a turn they ran to check out the decimated sprite bottle. Judging by the woahs and wows, everyone thought it was pretty awesome!
Step back, Betsy. Mama's got the gun...I pulled off one shot and I'm pretty sure I let out an "auuugghhh" just in anticipation of the kick back. I'm tough though and if it hadn't been for the fact that I could no longer feel my toes or fingers I would've done a couple more shots. I actually prefer the shotgun to the rifle because I was more apt to actually hit something. That bullet spray gives you a little more room for error!
My little boys....
Rhett's favorite part of the whole trip was collecting the bullet shells. As soon as we got home he put them in a baggie for safe keeping. I'm pretty sure he's snuck them to church and to his Nana's. Not sure why. I have spent most of his life saying "hmmmmm. Not sure why he ________. " That's why I love him so much :)
After shooting bullets into the creek water and watching it splash, trying to hit a floating piece of trash, and shooting up a camper somebody dumped off, we called it a day. It was a fun boy's day!
Next stop: Guns and Leather. That way we can all learn to pack our heat wearing black leather bomber jackets. It's going to be killer.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

that is just awesome! have to say you look pretty natural with that big ol gun girl. makes me nervous just looking at it! :) happy new year friends!!!

Kelly Swindell and Tol Swindell said...

That is great. It is nerve racking isn't it?!? Tol does this with the boys too. But, I just have to think, I'd rather them learn with their dad and learn gun safety than go out with friends when they are teenagers trying to shoot and not knowing what they are doing. Boys do love guns!