Monday, May 16, 2011

Just a Learnin'

Rhett has been on a learning streak the past few weeks. I've been coaching him for what feels like the last two years on the foot pump while swinging and it just wasn't clicking. One afternoon Bobby spent two seconds going over it and the next thing you know he's swinging like a maniac and giving all credit to his father. Hmmmph.

Here's a goofy mid-swing foot pump picture:


One check mark in his mind's list (and his mind has LOTS of lists).
It wasn't three days after he learned to swing alone that he decided to tackle the jump from the swing. He didn't start out with small beans either. This child has never muttered the word fear.....he laughs in the face of it as I stand beside and gasp.
So far all of our limbs and bones are intact. Knock on wood. Someone please knock on some wood.
A fun series of leaping shots:



Somehow, after all the leaping, I was left with a surly child. I can't recall what his problem was but, frankly, these days, even the smallest disagreement brings on pouting, negotiating, arguing, pouting......who knows.
On to the next lesson: biking. His school had bike day and it was his goal to be on two wheels before the big day. We practiced and practiced and finally he got it. And, just in time to impress his buds at school ( thank goodness because one more day of hunkering over and holding his seat and my back was going to be a goner!)
Up the street, down the street, up the street, down the street.....and only a couple minor wrecks in between!

Got it!
After learning all these new things Rhett said, "Well, guess I've learned all there is to learn now. Don't know what I'll do with the rest of my life." Direct quote. No joke. It's such a travesty when you peak at such a young age. Guess it's all downhill from here.....

1 comment:

Kelly Swindell and Tol Swindell said...

So glad we could get that motivational video of bike riding made for him to get him pumped up! LOL! He is such a character! Love that boy!