Sunday, November 23, 2008

On My Nightstand

I LOVE to read. It's one of my favorite things to do dating back to being a child and hearing my mom read chapter books to me at night. One of the greatest days ever was when the book fair came to my school........Who am I kidding? It was the greatest day ever when the book fair came to CADE'S school! I still sat at the table with the little flimsy paper flyer they send home with my sharpie in hand marking the books I thought Cade would enjoy. Here's the problem. I've collected WAY too many half reads over the last few months. All of these are seriously on my nightstand. I just CAN'T find a book I cannot put down. I started with an army novel. I love me some military book...........not so much Ollie North. Too much military jargon and abbreviations and I could not follow. I've read it twice to the fifth chapter.
2) Then, The Gift of Fear. Gavin DeBecker. Great information. I learned so much about fear that I'm now scared of the book.

3) The Invisible War............real life demon stuff. The book by Gavin told me I should be scared of it too. So I am.


4)Two Wars. True story of military heroism. Not the greatest writer. But really, he never claimed to be a good writer just a good fighter. It was taking too long to get to the point where he crashed his helicopter in the enemy territory and had to fight the Afghans.


5) 3/4 of the way thorough World Without End. Good book. 1300's. SOOOO LONG.


6) Black. The people at Lifeway said it was a must read series. Too sci-fi for me. I don't get into sci-fi.


7) I tried to be smart and literary. Read six chapters of Little Women. Got tired of Mr. Darcy and Marmie. I'll try that one again later.


8) Now, just four days ago, I started taking a stab at Twilight. The ONLY reason I'm reading it is because there is so much hype about the movie and I feel left out. I can't stand not knowing what all the squealing is about. I'm two chapters in. Maybe this will be THE ONE. It's about vampires. I hope all my knowledge from The Gift of Fear doesn't force me to put this one down too.

My question is: What are you reading?? Surely someone has the perfect page turning recommendation for me. And, please, don't make it about Amish. I read so much Beverly Lewis I started pricing horse drawn carriages and almost started making my own butter. Don't take that as a stab if you're Amish. And, hey, if you are, don't tell your dad you've been on the computer.

17 comments:

Danielle said...

I just finished Confessions of a Shopaholic. Her spending habbits stressed me a bit but it was a mindless, fun read. There are 3 or 4 more that follow it. I will let you know how they turn out. Oh, and there is a movie coming out about it in Feb(?). You could always pick up where you left off with the Baxters...

KellyRose said...

The Bodie Thoene series are Great! Although, I still haven't finished book 3 from about 3 years ago. Oh...maybe that is not a good sign. :)

Pamela Johnson said...

My nightstand is identical to yours. So funny. Right now on it:
After the leaves fall --Nicole Baart
(new Christian author)
Lost Souls--Lisa Jackson--serial killer read
Deadline
Deception--both by Randy Alcorn
(end of times/mystery)
Esther--Beth Moore
Jimmy--Robert Whitlow--lawyer/mystery

I love to read!!!

Big Nanny said...

Same Kind of Different As Me...awesome book, thought provoking, make you want to be a better person kind of book, I couldn't put it down!

Nicole @ Four Real said...

I am mortified to admit that the only thing I read these days are Preperation for Parenting (starting cereal) and any first grade book Noah wants to read. I know, it is terrible. I wish I liked to read. I just don't. But my Noah, I have asked him to take a break at times. I think his nightstand will look just like yours!

Becky said...

I have to admit I LOVED the Twilight series!!!! The first book was okay but the next 3 got even better. Andrew got sick of hearing about Edward. I love to read also and will read anything. Right now I'm reading Sarah's Key about the Holocaust. I also just finished God Grew Tired of Us about the children of Sudan - very good book. I'm like you and I'm ready to find the book that you just can't put down! Let me know if you find the perfect book!!!

Shawn said...

here are my suggestions with a nerd level of 8.5 on a 10 scale.

The Prodigal God - Tim Keller (new book)
Freakonomics - (re-read but great book. It is very entertaining.)
The Reason for god - Tim Keller (again)
Through Painted Deserts - Don Miller
48 Days - Dan Miller (two different Miller's)

Kelly Swindell and Tol Swindell said...

Okay....well, I feel dumb. I like to read but I don't make time. I don't really like fiction, but I did read "The Shack." It was good, but I really like info. books. I read "The Case For Faith," by Lee Strobel and it was very good too. Of course, those have been out for well over a year....so I'm sure you already read them. If you want to get annoyed, read "The Excellent Wife." It is very convicting....but irritating. The truth hurts. Read it and you'll see what I mean ;)

Anonymous said...

Francine Rivers "Redeeming Love" is my favorite book of all time!

Shawn said...

I'm still laughing about the Amish computer comment. Well played Morgan, well played.

I'm an info read girl and therefore have nothing of interest to you on my nightstand other than the Bible and the new Esther study by Beth Moore.

If Shawn reads this he is going to say that I don't read, but I do. Just in spurts and I won't give up my Bible time.

I am also not above reading a cookbook.

~H

Anonymous said...

Well, I know I've already told you about my current books. But I'll post too so you won't think of me as just a lurker (which, as you know, is what I am).

Like Pamela, I'm currently reading Deception by Randy Alcorn. The only thing I don't like about it is that, because it's a Christian book, he has the characters say things like, "I'm going to kill you, you dadgum son of a gun." When we all know good and well that that is not what that unsaved character would really say.

But my favorite book of all is A Thousand Splended Suns by Khaled Hosseini. SO GOOD!!! So LIFE CHANGING!!!

Ashley

Sumer said...

I cant believe you leave all those books unfinished - that pushes some of my weird OCD buttons. I love to read, but even if I hate a book I will finish it just because I cant stand the thought of leaving it undone.

Judging by your list of current reads, these are probably not for you. But The Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers is really good, as is Redeeming Love (which someone already mentioned). They are very light and easy reads, so you could probably finish them in a couple of nights and get a nice sense of completion!

Tonya Lee said...

Hey, I am back finishing up with the Baxters you got me started on. I'm hoping they will get reunited with that lost son of their soon because I'm in the 4th book already. Next, I want to read the Francine Rivers ook Sumer mentioned. You know I'm a historical fiction girl at heart and, lik you, I am Amished out!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, because of my SIL, I knew I would reenter blog world today. I randomly picked Sonja to check in on, and you got me! I love to read! I always have. In fact, sometimes I get frustrated that this is just not my season to get to read a lot. Like Sumer, I must finish what I start. I knew I loved her!;) Right now, here is my list:
A Mom after God's Own Heart - Elizabeth George - absolutely transforming and empowering! a must read for moms
Fireproof your Marriage - not very deep, but who couldn't use a good check on your marriage - GO SEE THAT MOVIE!
Love Dare - a good idea; I have not been committed enough to it though - It may have taken me a month to do 8 days :(
Same Kind of Different as Me - I discovered this one on my own from a little blurb in the Lifeway flier - It is next. I think Melissa is irritated I did not hear of it from her!;)
Esther study - Beth Moore
The Bible!

Well, that was fun. Someone will just have to tell me what the next good read is, because I have to confess, I love books more than blogs! Oh, I probably just got myself banished...
I love you all!
Tracey

Sara said...

Well, any book by Corrie ten Boom is a must! My personal favorite is "The Hiding Place". She is a Christian and a Holocaust survivor. What I love about her is her positivity and her amazing faith in God in every situation. It's so inspirational and makes you want a closer relationship w/ God.

On another note, "The Da Vinci Code" is exciting and I couldn't put the book down.

As far as any new books, "The Love Dare" has been good so far. I haven't finished yet. Very helpful for your marriage.

I hope this helps!

Melissa Lee said...

I heart vampires that go to high school and meet local newcomers and run really fast and like to smell those they love.

Yep, I said it.

I heart Twilight.

And trust me, I never ever thought I would say that.

Anonymous said...

ANY Francine Rivers book is fantastic, but like someone said above the "Mark of the Lion" series by Francine Rivers is my all time favorite. She is alot deeper than Kingsbury (who is very addicting), but her books by far are my favorite. I love Redeeming Love also. I am getting tired of waiting around for her to release a new book, so I am going to start reading Anne Rice again. I used to read her Vampire books (gruesome) before I really "born again". Now it's only Christian for me (or biographies). Anyway, Anne Rice is now a believer and has vowed to only write for Him!!! I am very excited about this!! She writes historical fiction too!!!